martes, 22 de octubre de 2013

being an expat is cool... but not easy.

I must admit that I definitely love being an expat and I would love to travel a lot more. And some may think that being an expat is like living a fairy tale. But somehow the boring everyday life we all know so well, will hunt you down even if you're living abroad. Some days are filled with excitement, new friends, great parties, memories and adventure, but for those days where these things seem to be almost non-existent, can be rather depressing. 

Considering this topic, I stumbled upon an interesting article on the Internet which inspired me to write this post. Why expat life not always is a smooth ride. And I'm actually surprised of how long it actually takes to adjust. As my cuñada (she has been living in Paris for 12 years) said, that the 1st year is the hardest year. It's about how to survive a new culture, a new language while making new friends. We, as expats can recognize that the key is making new friends. Loneliness can lead to depression which is according to the article very normal for expats. (I would love to know the experiences from other expats).
 Now, my problem is this:

And to be honest, after my first month in Peru and I'm tired of going to birthday parties of acquitances of E. It's just not me. When I lived in Barcelona this caused me a lot of problems because of people (read - mainly Peruvians) didn't understand the person I am. With the result of chisme. I guess I'm just very disappointed about the society.

Oh, did I mention my new project...
No, I'm not religious and will never be it, though I do believe in acceptance and tolerance. Well, I've made some new friends in an Evangelic church (my neighbours from Iquitos). They are going to make a play which "we" will be performing in Aventura Plaza Mall in Trujillo. And I'm scared!! Since I'm going to have the lead... and in the public. But another important thing for expats is to be open minded and I do believe in challenges and opportunities.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario